If you are interested in joining the Backwater Books team, please review the option positions below.
Backwater Books is an independent bookstore and bar in Historic Ellicott City. We provide a curated selection of books, art, and merchandise to the community. We create a unique retail experience through elevated customer service, a purposeful aesthetic, and a curated bar menu. Backwater Books will begin hosting events in the coming months to provide experiences for the community
We are looking for a motivated, customer-focused book lover to join our team as a Bookseller. Full- and Part-time positions are available. The primary role of this position is to create a welcoming environment for customers. You should be an avid reader and enjoy giving recommendations. You should be comfortable having discussions with customers about books and the OEC community
There is room to grow with Backwater Books. Several opportunities will be available as the Bookstore grows. We are looking for applicants that are motivated, efficient, and enthusiastic.
- Assist customers by greeting, answering questions, and providing recommendations
- Receive, unpack, and shelve stock
- Clean, organize, and maintain floor and backroom merchandise
- Complete transactions on the registers to include returns, special orders, cash and credit payments
- 21 years or older
- Alcohol awareness certified - Backwater Books will provide and pay for all training
- Weekend and evening availability
While not necessary, we are interested in applicants with the following
- Experience with social media marketing
- Experience working in a bookstore or related retail environment
- Experience running a book club
- Local knowledge
Educators and former educators are encouraged to apply.
Backwater Books employees must be able to
- Lift 50 lbs
- Stand for extended periods of time
- Frequently move about the store, including climbing stairs
- Occasional crouching, stooping, and reaching
EeoStatement: Backwater Books is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, military or veteran status, religion, creed, disability, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition as defined by applicable law, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, hairstyle, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, reproductive health decisions, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws and ordinances.